- 3 Split chicken breasts (about 1/2 lb)
- 3 c Water
- 1 T Olive oil
- 1 sm Onion, chopped
- 3 cl Garlic, crushed
- 1 md Red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Cans Great Northern, Navy or Cannellini beans
- 1 sm Can chopped green chilis
- 1 ts Oregano
- 1 ts Chili powder
- 1 ts Cumin, ground
- Monterey Jack cheese, shred
- Split breasts and use the broth which results. Skin the chicken breasts, but do not bone.
- Boil the split breasts in 3-4 cups of water for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the breasts to a bowl to cool.
- Continue boiling the broth until reduced to about 2 cups. Set aside. Bone and chop the cooked, cooled chicken into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, sauté onion, red pepper and garlic in the olive oil until onion is translucent. Add chicken broth, beans (1 can drained, 1 can puréed), diced chilis and pre-cooked chicken.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for at least an hour.
- Stir often to make sure the beans are not sticking.
- Adjust seasoning and serve, garnished with a a sprig of cilantro and a little Monterey Jack cheese shredded on top.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0