Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 lb dried red kidney beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 6 medium green peppers
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 large celery (diced)
- 2 large carrots (diced)
- 2 large tomatoes (peeled & seeded)
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- Rinse beans. Add 3-4 cups water and soak overnight (if possible).Drain beans, add 3-4 cups cold water, cover and simmer untiltender (30-40 minutes). Drain beans, set aside and reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- Bring 2 1/2 cups salted water to boil. Add 1 cup rice. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed).
- Put 2 tablespoons olive oil in frying pan and add the minced garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn. Add onion, celery, and carrots and sauté for an additional 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and mix with the rice.
- Add the seasonings (all the dried seasonings, plus salt and pepper). Mix well. Mix in the beans with 2 tablespoons of the reserved liquid.
- Cut the tops off the green peppers and remove the seeds. Stand the peppers in shallow baking dish that has been brushed with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Fill peppers with bean and rice mixture.
- Dice tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Ladle seasoned, diced tomatoes over top of each pepper and top off each with a tablespoon of reserved liquid (from beans).
- Cover dish and roast in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0