Ultimate Lemon Pie
• 1 9″ baked graham cracker crust
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• 6 large egg yolks
• 1 Tbsp. zest from 1 lemon
• 1/2 cup lemon juice from 2-3 lemons
• 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
• 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 4 large egg whites
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup water
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt together in large nonreactive saucepan. Add egg yolks, then immediately but gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally at beginning and more frequently as mixture begins to thicken, 8 to 10 minutes. Whisk in zest, then lemon juice and butter.
- Bring mixture to a good simmer, whisking constantly. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat, place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling to keep hot and to prevent a skin from forming.
- Mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally at beginning and more frequently as mixture thickens. When mixture starts to simmer and turn translucent, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix cream of tartar and sugar together. Beat egg whites with vanilla until frothy. Beat in sugar mixture, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until sugar is incorporated and whites form soft peaks. Drop in warm cornstarch mixture, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and continue to beat meringue to stiff peaks. Return saucepan of filling to very low heat during last minute or so of beating meringue to ensure that filling is hot.
- Immediately pour filling into pie shell. Promptly distribute meringue evenly around edge, then center of pie, with a rubber spatula to keep it from sinking into filling and making sure it attaches to pie shell to prevent shrinking. Use back of a spoon to create peaks all over meringue.
- Bake until meringue is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.