Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup raspberry, apricot or raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds for garnish
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- 2 eggs
- 8 cup sponge cake cubes (1″)
STEP BY STEP:
- Place half cake cubes in bottom of 2-quart clear glass bowl.
- Moisten with some of the sherry. Cover with jam. Top with remaining cake cubes.
- Add enough additional sherry to moisten cake well. In saucepan beat eggs and egg yolk.
- Stir in milk and granulated sugar. Cook and stir until custard coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat.
- Cool at once in ice water; stir occasionally. Spoon cooled custard over cake.
- Beat egg white to soft peaks. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Whip cream with vanilla. Fold in egg white. Pile mixture atop custard.
- Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with slivered almonds.