Traditional Platter Of Gefilte Fish
- 1 ea cleaned hake or haddock head, skin and bones from the fish
- 2 ts salt (level)
- water to cover the bones
- 1 md onion, thinly sliced
- 2 md carrots, sliced 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick
- 2 ts sugar (level)
- To get the maximum flavour, first simmer the head, skin and bones of the fish with the salt and cold water to
cover, for 30 minutes, then remove the skin and bones (leave in the head as this helps the stock to jell).
- Add the onion, carrots, sugar and balls of fish. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat low, cover the pan and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover and simmer for a further 30 minutes to concentrate the stock.
- Lift out the balls and arrange them on a platter, topping each fish ball with a slice of carrot.
- Pour the stock through a strainer over the fish, then chill overnight before serving.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0