Traditional Masala Dosa
- 3 cups rice (not basmati), soaked overnight, room temp. water.
- 1 cup urad dal (a specific type of lentils avail. at Indian grocery stores-no substitution; other dals will not work like this)
- Cover the rice with water just 1/2 “above the rice line in the blender.Grind till smooth.Grind the dal separately, with water that barely covers it. Grind a long time , stirring once in a while and grinding again. When the dal is ground very well, and small air bubbles appear once you stop running the blender, it is enough. Add morewater if necessary.But this should be very thick.
- Mix the rice and the urad dal pastes, with 1/2 tsp salt.Add one tablespoon beaten yogurt, and mix well. Keep covered to let oit ferment fro at least 5 to 8 hrs or more (Keep it close to a heater or in any warm place).
- Once it has risen, stir briefly, and keep it oin the fridge.
- Grease a griddle with plain sesame oil or peanut oil if you care about max. flavor; if not use veg. oil. The heat should be medium or slightly higher. When hot (a few drops of water will sizzle gently and disappear), using a metal ladle, pour one ladleful over the griddle; with quick and even and gentle strokes, spread the batter out with the ladle as if you are drawing concentric circles on the batter. Do it either clockwise OR anticlockwise else you get lumps.
- Once the bottom is cooked, turn it over, and cook the top
Share & Print
0 0 100 0