Tomato and Basil Omelette
- 4 large tomatoes, cored and peeled
- 4 tbsps. olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 garlic clove crushed then peeled & finely chopped
- a handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 fresh eggs
- salt & black pepper
- Cut each tomato in half and squeeze lightly to press out the seeds and juice.
- Chop the flesh coarsely and place in a saucepan with 2 tbsps. of the olive oil and the bay leaf.
- Cook over a brisk heat for 15-30 minutes until all the moisture has evaporated and the mixture has dried out, almost to a paste. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile pick the leaves from the sprig of thyme and place in a bowl with the garlic and basil.
- Break in the eggs, season with salt and pepper and beat with a fork. Add the tomato and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and add the remaining olive oil, swirling it round the pan.
- Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring continuously with a fork in a circular motion, until the eggs have set evenly but are still creamy.
- Leave the pan over the heat undisturbed for 30 seconds to brown the bottom.
- Remove it from the heat, turn out of the pan onto a plate and serve with some black Nice olives.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0