Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
Hope you’re hungry, ’cause this recipe makes four of the Mexican Pizzas like those served at the Taco Bell chain. This recipe is also handy if you want to know how to make a spiced ground beef just like the stuff Taco Bell uses in its tacos and other items.
1/2 lb. ground beef
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (Spanish blend is best)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried, minced onion
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash garlic powder
dash onion powder
2 tablespoons water
8 small (6″ diameter) flour tortillas
1 cup Crisco shortening or cooking oil
1 16-ounce can refried beans
1/3 cup diced tomato
2/3 cup mild Picante salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef with the flour, chili powder, salt, dried onion, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Use your hands to thoroughly incorporate everything into the ground beef.
2. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. and add the ground beef mixture to the pan along with the water. Brown the beef mixture for 5-6 miutes, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the meat as it cooks.
3. Heat oil or Crisco shortening in a frying pan over medium-high heat. If oil begins to smoke, it is too hot. When oil is hot, fry each tortilla for about 30-45 seconds per side and set aside on paper towels. When frying each tortilla, be sure to pop any bubbles that form so that tortilla lays flat in oil. Tortillas should become golden brown.
4. Heat up refried beans in a small pan over the stove or in the microwave. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. When meat and tortillas are done, stack each pizza by first spreading about 1/3 cup refried beans on the face of one tortilla. Next spread 1/4 to 1/3 cup of meat, then another tortilla. Coat your pizzas with two tablespoons of salsa on each then split up the tomatoes and stack them on top. Next divide up the cheese, onions and olives, stacking in that order.
6. Place pizzas in your hot oven for 8-12 minutes or until cheese on top is melted.
Makes 4 pizzas. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)