Sunshine Lemon Coolers
All we have to do is make a few simple adjustments to the Nilla Wafers clone recipe from last week, and we can create a cool copy of those awesome Sunshine Lemon Coolers. You know the ones — those little round cookies dusted with tangy, lemon-flavored powdered sugar. These cookies will require less vanilla than the Nilla Wafers clone recipe. And to make the coating, we’ll just use a little unsweetened Kool-Aid lemonade drink mix combined with powdered sugar. Shake the cookies in a bag with this mixture and you’ve got yourself another tasty knock-off.
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon water
Lemon Powdered Sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
rounded 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened Kool-Aid lemonade drink mix
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cream together sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add the flour and baking powder. Add 1 tablespoon of water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
4. Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cookies are light brown.
5. As cookies bake combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the lemonade drink mix in a large plastic bag and shake thoroughly to mix.
6. When the cookies are removed from the oven and while they are hot, add 4 or 5 at a time to the bag and shake it until the cookies are well coated. Repeat with the remaining cookies. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Makes 50-56 cookies.