South of the Border Squash Soup
- 2 tbsps. margarine or butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 1/2lbs.), peeled, seeded, and cubed – 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Cover pan. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 or 4 minutes longer, or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in butternut squash, jalapenos, chicken broth, and tomato puree.
- Bring to a simmer; cook for 30 minutes.
- Mash squash to a chunky puree with a potato masher or back of a spoon. Season to taste with black pepper and salt (optional).
- Ladle into bowls and pass lime wedges seperately to be squeezed into each bowl of soup.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0