Shaker Bean Soup
- 1 lb. dry Great Northern Beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 C finely shredded fresh spinach leaves
- Place beans and enough water to cover in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid.
- In the same kettle, place ham bone or hocks, 3 qts. water and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat easily falls from the bone.
- Remove bones from broth, when cool enough to handle, trim meat. Discard bones. Add ham, onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme to broth. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or till beans are tender. Add tomatoes and brown sugar. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add spinach.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0