- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 slices onion
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 tablespoons celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons celery stalk, finely chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh summer savory, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried
- fresh ground black pepper
- unsalted crackers or fresh toast
- 4 teaspoons chives, finely chopped
- Scald the milk and the half and half with the bay leaves, the onion slices, parsley sprigs, and the chopped celery leaves. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Strain out the bay leaf, parsley, celery leaves and onion, and add the finely chopped celery stalk, 2 – 3 dashes of Tabasco, and the butter.
- Bring the liquid to a boil again, lower the heat, and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Add the scallops and the herbs, taste for seasoning, and add a little salt and pepper if you think it needs it. Simmer 10 – 12 minutes.
- Put crackers or pieces of toast in each of 4 soup plates, and pour the stew over, sprinkling with finely chopped chives.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0