Sausage-apple Stuffed Squash
- 2 large acorn or one butternut squash
- 1/2 pound sausage meat
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small apple, pared and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp. slivered almonds, optional
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sage, crumbled
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and fibers. Place in baking pan, cut side down, and add 1/2-inch water. Bake at 400 F. for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in skillet until browned. Drain off excess fat and add butter to pan. Add onion, apple, cabbage and almonds; cook until tender. Add seasonings and mix well. Turn squash cut-side-up and fill centers with cabbage mixture.
- Return to baking pan and bake 30 minutes longer or until tender.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0