2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted shortening
1. Sift flour, Rumford Baking Powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar together.
2. Beat egg whites with rotary beater until stiff but not dry.
3. Combine beaten egg yolks, milk, and melted shortening, and pour into dry ingredients, stirring just enough to moisten.
4. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
5. Use a tablespoon to dip batter into greased muffin pans and fill 2/3 full.
6. Bake in a hot oven (425° F.) for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Makes 12 muffins.