1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, separated
2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 square chocolate (melted)
Red vegetable coloring
1. Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla.
3. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift flour, Rumford Baking Powder and salt together and add to first mixture alternately with the milk. Beat only until smooth.
5. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
6. Divide batter into 3 equal parts, leaving 1 plain; to the second add the melted chocolate and to the last add a few drops of red vegetable or fruit coloring.
7. Into a greased loaf pan (4 1/2″ x 8″ x 2″) spread 1/2 of the chocolate mixture; on top of this spread 1/2 of the pink, then 1/2 of the plain; repeat this process.
8. Bake in a moderate oven (350° F) 60 minutes. Cover with Fluffy Frosting.