Red Velvet Cocoa Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz. No-Taste Red Icing Color
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8 in. round baking pans with Wilton Cake Release or vegetable pan spray. In large mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs and icing color; blend well. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to batter mixture, beating until blended. Stir baking soda into vinegar; fold carefully into batter (do not beat). Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely.
Yield: approximately 6 cups of batter.
*To sour milk, use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.