Portoguese Bean Soup
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot chili paste
- 1/3 pound chourico (Portuguese sausage) or chorizo (Spanish sausage) or ham, pork, beef or chicken
- 1/2 pound pork or beef bones
- 8 cups water
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 2 cups shredded kale or collard greens
- 1/4 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups cooked white fava or kidney beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In large pot, combine onion, chili paste, sausage, bones and water; mix well. Bring to boil for 2 minutes, skimming foam from top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until meat is almost cooked.
- Add potatoes, carrots and turnip. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, cabbage and beans. Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bones. Dice sausage. Return to soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0