Polish Beet Soup
- 2 quarts water
- 2 beef shanks (or 1 1/2 pounds beef, cut up)
- 12 bouillon cubes
- 1 bunch fresh beets, cut up
- 5 cans sliced beets, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pint half and half
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Noodles, optional
- Bring water to a boil in large pot. Add beef and bouillon cubes. Bring to boil again. Add fresh beets, canned beets with juice, carrots, onion, celery, salt and pepper. Bring to boil again and let simmer 2 to 3 hours until meat is tender. Cool.
- Mix half and half with flour to make smooth paste. Add a small amount of broth and whisk to combine. Slowly add to soup, stirring, and heat but not to boiling. Serve over noodles.
- Sprinkle each serving with a teaspoon of vinegar if desired.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0