Polenta Beef Stew
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 lb. boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary or 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 14-1/2 oz can beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 8 oz boiling onions
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 recipe Polenta (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- In a medium bowl stir together, flour, garlic powder, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. Coat meat with flour mixture. In a Dutch oven brown half the meat in hot oil over medium-high heat. Remove from Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Return all meat to pan. Add chopped onion, garlic, and rosemary. Cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown. Add broth and wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Add boiling onions and carrots. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender
- Meanwhile, prepare Polenta. Just before serving, stir parsley and tomato paste into beef stew. Serve in bowls with polenta. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley, if desired.
- In a large saucepan bring milk just to simmer.
- In bowl combine cornmeal, water, and salt. Stir cornmeal mixture slowly into hot milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- If too thick, stir in additional milk. Stir in butter until melted.
- Transfer to serving dish. Ladle beef stew on top.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0