Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp apricot preserves
- 3 whole eggs, at room termperature
STEP BY STEP:
- Preheat the oven to 275F. Butter an 8 by 3 inch cheesecake pan or springform. Chill the pan for 5 minutes, then butter it again. If using a springform, wrap the outside with foil.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium until it is very soft. Gradually beat in 1 1/4 cups of the sugar until the mixture is light and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the whole eggs 1 at a time, beating well between each addition, until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly blended. Stir in the chopped pistachios.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan and place it in a larger pan. Add enough warm water to the larger pan to reach about two-thirds of the way up the cake pan. Bake the cheesecake in the middle of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until set. Remove from the water bath and let the cake cool in the pan on a rack. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 500F. In a medium bowl, beat together the egg white, almonds and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar until well blended, about 1 minute. Unmold the cake onto a cookie sheet, wrapping a hot wet towel around the outside of the pan if necessary. Brush or spread the almond meringue over th top and sides of the cake and bake in the upper third of the oven until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small heavy sacepan, warm the apricot preserves until melted. Press through a sieve and brtush all over the cake to glaze.