Pet Palo (Steamed Duck)
- Mix equal parts of Maggi seasoning suace, mushroom soy sauce, Oyster sauce, and dark sweet soy sauce, varying the quantities slightly according to taste, to make up three cups of base sauce.
SAUCE: (Additional Ingredients)
- 6 cups water
- 8-12 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro/coriander (including the roots if poss)
- 1-2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (this is the “salty” flavor – to taste
- 3 cups base sauce (above)
- 1/2 cup palm sugar.
- Place the water in the base of the steamer and bring to a boil. Add the other ingredients, and stir until it is boiling then reduce heat to simmering point. Put the duck in the top container and steam for 35-40 minutes. At which point the duck should be nearly cooked.
- Turn off the heat, and allow the duck to cool until you can handle it (professional chefs with asbestos hands probably don’t need to let it cool at all), remove the legs and wings, then fillet the duck. Place all the meat, the wings and the legs in the sauce, and keep the bones to make soup stock.
- Place the base pan on the table with the lid in place, and about 15 minutes before you want to eat switch it back on. This will complete the cooking and allow the meat to absorb the flavor of the sauce.Provide a pair of chopsticks so the diners can serve themselves. You will also need a small ladle to serve the sauce.
- Serve with chillis marinated in dark sweet soy and fresh ground ginger as condiments, and either steamed jasmine rice or sticky rice.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0