Original Pineapple Cream Pie
- 2 Tbsp margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked graham cracker crust or pie shell
- 2 cups whipped cream (for topping)
- Melt margarine in heavy bottom saucepan.
- Blend sugar, cornstarch and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add the milk to the dry ingredients and stir to dissolve. Pour mixture into saucepan with melted margarine and bring to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly so mixture does not burn.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Spoon approximately 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture slowly into the beaten egg yolks, stirring rapidly to prevent eggs from scrambling. Pour heated egg mixture into pan with hot milk and return to a simmer, stirring for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla and stir in drained pineapple. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until fully chilled. Garnish with whipped cream, and if desired, toasted coconut and pineapple chunks
Share & Print
0 0 100 0