One-Bowl Chocolate Cake With Cream Frosting
Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- Chocolate Cream Frosting:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy creamCake:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising) or 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
STEP BY STEP:
- Garnish: chocolate creme de menthe and chocolate-mint parfait wafers (such as Andes), cut in triangles for top of cake and irregular pieces for sides
- Frosting: Mix heavy cream, cocoa, sugar and vanilla in a medium-size bowl. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour, stirring several times to dissolve cocoa and sugar.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two 8-inch layer-cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper. Grease paper.
- Cake: Put all cake ingredients into a large bowl in the order listed. Beat with electric mixer, scraping sides of bowl with a rubber spatula several times, until batter is thick (like sour cream) and spreadable. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake 22 to 24 minutes, until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cakes on rack and peel off paper. Turn cakes right side up and cool completely.
- Beat chilled frosting mixture with electric mixer just until stiff peaks begin to form when beaters are lifted (don’t overbeat or frosting will look grainy).
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread with frosting. Top with second layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides. Garnish with chocolate-mint candies.
Make the frosting first so it can chill while the cake bakes. The cake layers freeze well up to 3 months. Once frosted, the cake keeps well, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to 1 week.