Nabisco Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps
Nabisco’s version of this old favorite cookie may not be as big a seller as its much-cloned Oreo. Heck, it’s not even close. But if you’re a ginger snap fanatic, this recipe will give you a killer clone of the cookie giant’s store-bought version that you can whip up in a…uh…snap. And if you’re watching the fat, four of these cookies check in with a total of around 2.5 grams of fat.
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup shortening
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together the sugars, molasses, shortening, butter, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. In another large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
4. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat while adding the water. Continue to mix until ingredients are incorporated.
5. Measure a heaping teaspoon of dough at time. Roll the dough into a sphere between the palms of your hands then press the dough onto the cookie. Flatten to about 1/8-inch thick.
6. Bake cookies for 10-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown and cookies are crispy when cool. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Makes 120 (10 dozen) cookies.