- 1 lb dried large white navy beans
- 6 c boiling water
- 1 ham shank
- 4 c shredded cabbage
- 2 c thinly sliced pared carrots
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c celery chopped
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 pkg (12 oz) smoked sausage links sliced
- 1 (one pound) can tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 c elbow macaroni
- Pick over beans, rinse and place in large bowl. Pour boiling water over: cover and let stand one hour.
- Trim some of the fat from the ham, melt in Dutch oven. Stir in raw vegetables. Sauté slowly, stirring often. After 20 minutes remove. Reserve.
- Pour beans and liquid into pan, add ham, sausages, tomatoes, salt and pepper add 6 c more water. Heat to boiling, cover. Simmer 90 minutes. Remove ham. Cut meat from bone, trim off fat and dice meat. Stir into soup with sautéed vegetables.
- Cook 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Stir in macaroni. Continue cooking 15 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0