Miss Bettie’s Cornbread Dressing
- 3 pans cornbread (usually cooked in a 10 in iron skillet)
- 6 to 8 biscuits (homemade… refrigerator biscuits would change the flavor)
- 4 boiled eggs
- 1 pkg. chicken breast tenders (bag actually, has a couple dozen in them)
- 1 can chicken broth
- sage, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- basil, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup vermouth cooking wine
- 4 celery stalks (use inner stalks for tenderness and best flavor)
- 1 medium onion (Vidalia, if can be found)
- 1/8 cup poultry seasoning
- 1 tblsp salt
- 2 tblsp black pepper
- Make three pans of cornbread, using your favorite cornbread recipe.
- Make one batch of biscuits. I use the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box.
- Boil four eggs.
- Pour can of chicken broth in a large pot. Add chicken tenders, and fill the pan the rest of the way with water to cover the chicken. Add the 1/2 cup of vermouth and sprinkle in some oregano, basil, salt and pepper . Stir it all up. Cook chicken tenders over medium heat until done. Save the broth after the chicken is cooked.
- Chop the celery and onion, and mash the eggs with a potato masher.
- Crumble the cornbread and biscuits into a very large container to have room for mixing. Add the mashed eggs and the celery and onion to the bread mixture, and mix well.
- Tear the chicken tenders into bite sized pieces . Add the chicken to the mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning, black pepper and salt over mixture and mix well.
- Just before cooking, add enough chicken broth to thoroughly moisten the mixture. Stir it up good to make sure the whole mixture gets wet!
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then check to see if brown. If not, continue to cook until top is slightly brown. (Time depends on quantity of dressing.)
Share & Print
0 0 100 0