Melanzane Alla Parmigiana (Eggplant Parmesan)
- 2 medium eggplant
- salt/pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 2 c. White Sauce (see below)
- 2 c. Tomato Sauce (see below)
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese (more or less depending on taste; recommend Reggiano parmesan)
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Pinch Fresh Oregano, finely chopped
- Tabasco Sauce (opt.)
- Beat 2 eggs, 2 c. half-and-half, 10 tbsp. white flour and all the other ingredients.
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 thick slices if using long eggplant, otherwise into small cubes. Add eggplant to egg batter and soak for at least 5 minutes.
- Cover bottom of skillet in vegetable oil to a depth of 1/4 inch, and turn range to high heat.
- Remove eggplant from egg batter, letting excess batter drain back into bowl.
- Fry eggplant until pieces are golden and crispy (don’t be afraid to burn slightly – some people llike the flavour)
- Drain eggplant on a paper towel.
- Butter the bottom of a casserole dish, then layer as follows: 1/3 of the white sauce, 1/3 of the tomato sauce, half the eggplant, 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat, ending with white sauce, tomato sauce, and cheese on top.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and oregano on top. Add tabasco if desired.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Let cool uncovered for 5 minutes, then serve.
SALSA BIANCA (White Sauce)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 1 1/4 c. half-and-half
- X salt, white pepper, and nutmeg
- Melt butter in a saucepan on med. heat. Add flour and simmer on low heat for 2-3 min., whisking
constantly. Add milk and half-and-half and simmer on low heat, whisking frequently until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Allow it to cool before using.
SALSA DI POMODORO (Tomato Sauce)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2-28 oz. cans peeled Italian tomatoes, finely chopped, and their liquid
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste * 4 cloves garlic, minced (or more)
- 1 bayleaf
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp. fresh basil
- 1 whole clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- X salt & pepper to taste
- Saute onion in oil and butter in a large pot on med. heat until onion is transparent. Add carrot and celery and saute on med. heat for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, bayleaf, oregano, basil, cloves, sugar, and wine, and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, on LOW heat for at least 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauce should be rich and thick. If it is too thin, continue to simmer on low heat.
- When sauce has reached desired consistency, remove from heat.
- Allow sauce to cool, uncovered, for at least 4 hours at room temperature.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0