Macaroon Cherry Pie
- Pastry for single pie (9 inch)
- 3 can (14 1/2 oz each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/3 C. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. red food coloring-optional
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 T. milk
- 1 T. butter melted
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 C. flaked coconut
- 1/2 C. sliced almonds
- Line a 9 inch deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at 400º for 6 minutes; set aside.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 C. juice. Set cherries aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in cherry juice until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cinnamon and food coloring if desired. Gently fold in cherries and pour into crust.
- Cover edges with foil. Bake at 400º for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the first 6 topping ingredients. Stir in coconut and almonds.
- Remove foil from pie; spoon topping over pie. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 4 hours or overnight before cutting.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0