Low-Fat French Bread
- 2 C water, at 105 deg F
- 1 packet or one cube or 1 scant Tbsp yeast (dry, except for the cube)
- 2 tsp salt
- 6-7 C all-purpose flour (or 3 C whole wheat & 3-4 C a-p)
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir the salt and 2 C flour together and add to the water. Add another 2 C flour. Add the rest of the flour is smallish increments, until the dough clears the bowl if you’re using a mixture, or stops being sticky if your mixing it in by hand.
- Oil the cleaned bowl (about 1/2 tsp oil or butter), put the dough back in, cover, and let rise at 70 to 80 deg until it doubles. Punch down, form into two long French-bread-shaped loaves, and let rise in French bread pan or on cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan.
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F. Slash loaves diagonally when they’re about double in size. Place an oven-proof dish on the oven floor with hot water in it or vigorously spray the over with water (watch out for the bulb). Slide the bread in and bake until they’re a golden brown.
- Cool on rack.
Note: Don’t cover tightly or the beautiful crunchy crust will soften.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0