Lemon Tea Muffins
1/3 cup butter or shortening
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1. Cream shortening; add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg yolks and beat well.
3. Sift flour, Rumford Baking Powder and salt together and add alternately with lemon rind, lemon juice and water mixture.
4. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
5. Use a tablespoon to dip batter into well greased muffin pans, filling 2/3 full.
6. Bake in a hot oven (400° F.) for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
Makes 12 large muffins.