Lemon Meringue Pie
- Classic Pie Crust (See recipe below)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups tepid water
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Prepare the crust for one crust pie using the Classic Pie Crust recipe to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Prick the crust all over with a fork, then line with foil and fill with beans or pie weights. Bake the crust in the center of the oven until very light golden, about 8 minutes. Remove the foil and beans or pie weights, bake until light golden, 5 minutes more. Cool on a rack. Raise oven temperature to 400-degrees.
- Prepare the filling: Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Slowly add the water, stirring until smooth. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Boil to thicken, about 1 minute; remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly pour about 1/4 cup of the hot sugar mixture into the yolks. Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and butter, then return to the pan to heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil to thicken for 1 minute; remove from the heat. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Prepare the meringue: Place the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at low speed until soft peaks begin to form. Increase the speed to medium and add the sugar a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon the meringue over the filling decoratively, mounding it in the center and spreading it all the way to the outer edge, so it touches the crust.
- Bake the pie in the center of the oven until the meringue is lightly browned on the edges, about 5-7 minutes. Do not allow the meringue to overcolor. Cool the pie on a rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0