Ladyfinger Chocolate Meringue Pie
- 1-1/2 package ladyfingers
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups half -and half
- 6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (I like using vanilla bean for this recipe)
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Spray springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut ladyfingers in half, and arrange them around the side of pan, Arrange the remaining ladyfingers over the bottom of the pan
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, melt the semisweet chocolate, stirring until smooth
- Spread the chocolate over the ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan, set the pan aside.
- Make the pastry cream: In a medium size saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt. Slowly stir in half and half until smooth. Place pan over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Lower the heat simmer and cook, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, slowly pour 1/4 cup of the cocoa mixture over the egg yolks and whisk to combine. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over low heat, for 2 or 3 minutes until it thickens
- Remove pan from heat, stir in butter and vanilla until smooth, cover with plastic wrap. Chill until cold.
- Make the meringue: Put the egg whites in a bowl and beat until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks.
- Pour the chilled pastry cream into the ladyfingers and chocolate lined pan, spread the meringue over the pastry cream.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0