Lady Baltimore Cake
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted cake flour
3 teaspoons Clabber Girl or Rumford Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites
1. Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
2. Sift 2 cups flour with the salt and add alternately with 3/4 cup water to the creamed mixture.
3. Sift remaining cup flour with Baking Powder and add to mixture with remaining 1/4 cup water. Beat only until smooth.
4. Add vanilla and blend well.
5. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
6. Pour into 3 greased 9-inch layer pans and bake in a moderate oven (350° F) 20-25 minutes.
7. Spread Lady Baltimore Frosting between layers and on top.