Italian Wedding Beef Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 crushed clove of garlic or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed basil
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup of riso (tiny pasta shaped like grains of rice)
- 1 cup chopped spinach (cut up bok choy may be used)
- 1 loaf good Italian bread
- extra grated parmesan cheese
- Combine first 9 ingredients and form into tiny meatballs, about 1 cm, or 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Bring to a slow boil in a 3-quart (liter) pan, the 6 cups of well-seasoned chicken broth (homemade) or 3 – 14 oz. cans, seasoned with celery and onion. Add the meatballs, and cook for a few minutes until done
- Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon. Add the riso and cook till almost done, about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and chopped spinach and cook a few minutes longer till spinach is done.
- Butter and toast thick slices of Italian bread. Place a slice in each bowl and ladel soup over bread. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese and serve. Serve remaining toasted bread with the soup.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0