Italian Sausage Cheesy Soup
- 2 lbs. Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1 28-oz can Progresso crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tsp. fresh minced basil leaves
- 3 cups uncooked baby shell macaroni
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 oz grated Asiago cheese
- Cut sausage in 1/2 ” pieces and sauté in large pot until browned. Drain off fat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are limp. Stir in tomatoes. Add stock, wine and basil; simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cool in refrigerator. Remove fat from surface of soup and discard.
- Heat soup and stir in cabbage and parsley. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- While it’s simmering, cook macaroni in separate pot for about 8 minutes. Drain macaroni and add to soup just before serving, with cheese sprinkled on top.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0