Gingerbread Cheesecake Swirl
Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup light unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
STEP BY STEP:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a 9 inch springform pan. In a mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese on high speed until light and smooth, about 3 minutes. With the mixer on, beat in the vanilla. Add two of the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until thoroughly blended. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the molasses over low heat until bubbles begin to form around the sides. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until completely blended.
- Scrape the molasses into a medium bowl and stir in the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Add the brown sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the remaining 2 eggs into the gingerbread batter, 1 at a time, until well blended. Stir in the baking sode, then beat in the flour in 3 batches until completely incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon, drop half the gingerbread better in dollops into the prepared pan. Use one-fourth of the reserved cream cheese mixture to fill in the empty spaces. Dollop the remaining gingerbread batter on top of the cream cheese mounds. Fill in with another one-fourth of the cream cheese mixture. Swirl with the flat edge of a knife to marbelize the batters (be careful not to overmix). Smooth the remaining cream cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes, or until the top of the cake begins to crack in the center. (The cake may be lumpy since the gingerbread rises and the cheesecake sinks). Let cool to room temperature. Remove the sides of the springform pan, cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled.