- 1 1/4 lbs. beef for stew(1 in. cubes)
- 1 T plus 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 med. carrot pared and grated
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small apples, cored, pared, and grated
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C dry red table wine
- 2 packets instant beef broth
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- On rack in broiling pan broil beef 5-6 inches from heat source, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides and rare, 4-6 mins; set aside.
- In 4 quart saucepan heat oil over medium heat; add carrot, onion, and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients and stir to combine thoroughly. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes
- Remove cover and continue cooking, stirring often, until meat is fork-tender, 15-20 minutes longer.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0