- 6 large Florida tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely choppe
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium- size red onion, minced
- 3 tbsps. red wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon – 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 2 to 3 tbsps. chopped fresh parsley to taste
- 2 tbsps. fresh basil, chopped or 2 tsps. dried salt and
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Herb croutons (optional)
- Peel the tomatoes by submerging them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove to a colander and rinse under cold water. The skins should slip right off.
- Core the tomatoes and gently squeeze out the seeds. Chop half of them coarsely and puree the other half in a food processor. Combine the puree and chopped tomatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend the remaining ingredients, except the herb croutons, with the tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Serve chilled; garnish with herb croutons.
- If you would like a thinner version or need to stretch it, add up to 2 cups tomato juice.
- For a seafood variation, add a small can of minced clams and their juice.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0