Fresh Key Lime Pie
- 4 teaspoons grated lime zest (rind)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup strained juice from 3 to 4 limes
- 11 full graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 pint (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- For the filling, whisk zest and yolks in a medium bowl until it begins to turn light yellow-green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice, and set aside.
- For the crust, adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Add butter; stir with a fork until well-blended. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch pie pan. Press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form an even crust. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack to cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Pour lime filling into crust. Bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, about 15-17 minutes. Return pan to wire rack and cool to room temperature. Chill at least 3 hours.
- If refrigerated overnight, cover with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed wrap laid directly on filling.
- For the whipped cream, up to 2 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Add confectioners’ sugar a tablespoon at a time and continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Either spoon whipped cream over slices or spread evenly over pie with a rubber spatula. Garnish with fresh lime slices, if desired.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0