French White Bean Soup
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 leeks, chopped (white part only)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 15-oz. can white beans (Great Northern or pinto), drained and rinsed (or 1 3/4 cups home-cooked white beans)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth, preferably with no added salt
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or watercress, chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Dash salt
- White pepper to taste (preferably freshly ground)
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté onions, leeks and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Add beans, potatoes, 1/4 teaspoon of thyme and 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth; simmer 20 minutes.
- Purée in blender or food processor. When smooth, return to saucepan and add remaining broth and evaporated milk; heat through. If necessary, add more water or broth to reach desired thickness.
- Before serving, stir in chopped parsley, lemon juice, salt, white pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon thyme.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0