Fougasse With Rosemary
- 1 once active dry yeast (2 envelopes)
- 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cups olive oil
- 5 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, sage or parsley)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil (1/4 + 1/2 in mixture and 1/2 cup for bowl and after baking)
- 1 tblsp coarse sale (Kosher)
- Dissolve yeart in 1/2 cup warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. Add olive oil, flour, herbs and sale to make a soft dough.
- Knead with dough hook for 5 minutes til smooth and elastic, adding a little more flour to keep from sticking. Oil the same bowl without washing and turn the dough several times to coat it — let rise til double — 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough — divide in 2 pieces, shape into balls — and return to bowl — cover with olive oil — let rise 20 to 30 minutes or until light.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Flatten each ball by hand unto a baking sheet to form large circles 1/2″ thick. Make 4 or 5 parallel slashes on each circle with a sharp knife to form tree branches — use your fingers to spread apart — sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with oil again after baking.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0