- 3/4 pound chilled fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- Cut cheese into 1-inch cubes.
- Whisk together wine, egg yolks and garlic in bowl.
- Whisk in baking powder, flour and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Whisk in oil, then add enough ice water to make thick, pourable mixture the consistency of pancake batter.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Let batter warm to room temperature before frying.
- Shortly before serving, beat egg whites with dash of salt until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter with minced basil.
- Dip cheese cubes into batter, allowing excess batter to drip off.
- In deep frying pan heat 2 inches of oil to 360 degrees. Fry a few fritters at a time in hot oil until uniformly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Salt lightly and keep warm until all fritters have been cooked.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0