Flourless Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Glaze
Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 12 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extractFor glaze:
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 9 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
STEP BY STEP:
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper or waxed paper; butter paper. Wrap outside of pan with foil
- Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, stirring often.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Fold lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla extract
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form
- Fold whites into chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake cake until top is puffed and cracked and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes
- Cool cake in pan on rack (cake will fall). Gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake. Using small knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Remove pan sides
- Place 9 inch diameter tart pan bottom or cardboard round atop cake. Invert cake onto tart pan bottom. Peel off parchment paper
- Make glaze: Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Place cake on rack set over baking sheet. Spread 1/2 cup glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake. Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes. Pour remaining glaze over cake; smooth sides and top. Place cake on platter. Chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour. Garnish with chocolate shavings or leaves. Serve at room temperature.