Filled Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3/4 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons Rumford or Clabber Girl Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
3. Sift flour, Baking Powder and salt together; add to creamed mixture forming a soft dough. Chill in refrigerator.
4. Roll out and cut rounds of dough with cookie cutter; place teaspoonful of filling in center of each.
5. Cover with another round of dough cut with doughnut cutter.
6. Bake on greased baking sheet in moderately hot oven (400° F.) 15-20 minutes.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Mix 1 cup raisins (cut fine), 3/4 cup dried figs (cut fine), 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour 1 cup hot water over mixture. Add 2 teaspoons grated orange peel; cook until thick. Cool before using.
Plain Sugar Cookies: Cut with fancy cutter and sprinkle with granulated or colored sugar. If desired, garnish with candied fruit.
Butterscotch Cookies: Substitute 1/2 cup finely packed light brown sugar for granulated sugar.
Coconut Cookies: Sprinkle 1/2 cup coconut over top of cookies before baking.
Nut Cookies: Sprinkle thickly with 3/4 cup chopped peanuts or other nuts.
Fruit Cookies: Add 3/4 cup chopped raisins, dates, or prunes to flour mixture.
Spice Cookies: Sift 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice with the flour. Omit vanilla.