2/3 cup dried figs
2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons shortening
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1. Pour boiling water over figs, cover and let stand 10 minutes. Drain, clip stems and cut into small pieces.
2. Sift flour, Rumford Baking Powder, salt and sugar together.
3. Cut in shortening until the consistency of coarse meal.
4. Stir cut figs into flour mixture.
5. Combine milk and beaten egg and add to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened.
6. Use a tablespoon to dip batter into greased muffin pans and fill 2/3 full.
7. Bake in a hot oven (425° F.) for 25 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.