Family Favorite Apple Pie
- 7 C. Granny Smith apple slices
- 2 heaping T. quick cook tapioca
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 T. butter
- Peel core and slice apples. Place in a large bowl. Combine tapioca, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir this mixture through the apples. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- 1 1/2 C. flour
- 2/3 C. butter flavored Crisco
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 C. cold water
- beaten egg
- Combine flour, Crisco and salt until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with cold water and stir till mixture can be gathered into a ball. Divide dough in half and roll each half to fit a deep 9″ pie pan.
- Place filling into bottom crust. Dot with butter.
- Top with other crusts; trim and flute edge. Brush top crust with some of the beaten egg. Slit top crust to vent. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake at 425º for 40-45 minutes. Remove foil for the last five minutes of baking time.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0