Eggs in Spicy Almond Sauce
- 1 oz. blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tsps. whole cumin seeds
- 2 tbsps. white poppy seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 whole dried hot red pepper
- 5 tbsps. vegetable oil
- 3 whole cardamom pods
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾” fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 fl oz. yoghurt
- 2 fl oz. spicy tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 fl oz. single cream
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 4 hard- boiled eggs cut in half
- Put the almonds in a small heavy frying pan and stir over a medium to low heat until lightly browned. Pulverize in a grinder and remove.
- Put 1 tsp cumin seeds, poppy seeds, coriander seeds and the red pepper into the frying pan. Dry roast over a medium low heat until the poppy seeds darken, then grind the spices.
- Heat the oil in a 7-8″ frying pan over a medium flame. When hot put in the remaining cumin seeds and the whole cardamom pods.
- Stir and fry for a few seconds then add the onion garlic and ginger. Stir and fry for about five minutes until lightly browned.
- Put in 1 tbsp. of yoghurt and stir and cook for about 30 seconds until the yoghurt is gradually incorporated into the onion mixture.
- Add the remaining yoghurt 1 tbsp. at a time in the same way. Then add the tomato sauce in the same way.
- Put in the ground spices and stir for 10 seconds. Put in the ground almonds and stir for 10 seconds more.
- Add 8 fl oz. water and the salt. Simmer, cover and reduce heat. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, lemon juice and garam masala. Stir to mix. Simmer on a low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Put the eggs into the sauce. Spoon some of the sauce over them and simmer gently for 7-8 mins, spooning the sauce over the eggs often.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0