Dutch Apple Cake with Cinnamon Cream
2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons Rumford or Clabber Girl Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons shortening
2/3 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Sift flour, Baking Powder, salt and sugar together.
2. Cut in shortening.
3. Beat egg and add to milk and stir into dry ingredients.
4. Spread in greased baking dish (10″ x 8″ x 2″).
5. Peel and core apples; cut in wedge-shaped slices about 1/4 inch thick; place in rows on batter.
6. Pour the melted butter over apples and sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar and spices.
7. Bake in moderately hot oven (425° F) 30-40 minutes, or until apples are done. Serve hot with Cinnamon Cream.
Serves 6 to 8.
Whip 1/2 cup whipping cream until stiff. Add 2 teaspoons powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon sugar