Dum Gobhi (Cauliflower steamed with herbs and spices)
- 1 lb. cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp grated ginger root
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tbspn nonfat plain yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (see below)
- Wash, drain, and cut cauliflower into 1 inch flowerets, including stem. Combine chili powder, ginger, tomato, green chili, tumeric with the yogurt in A small bowl.
- Spray with pam, use nonstick pan, use a little water, whatever you do to nonstick yourself. Put Cauliflower into pan then pour spices over the top. Cover pan tightly and cook over LOW heat for 10-15 minutes (Cauliflower will steam in the spicy mixture).
- Stir in half the cilantro leaves, increase heat to medium, and cook with lid off, for another 5-6 minutes, to drive off excess moisture. turn off heat and sprinkle with garam masala and reamaining cilantro.
- Make sure all liquid is driven off, serve with basmati rice
- 2 oz. black cardamom pods
- 1 oz piece of cinnamon stick
- 1 oz. cloves,
- 3 oz. peppercorns
- Heat a heavy skillet, reduce heat, add pods and cinnamon. Move them around for two minutes. Add cloves and peppercorn, and shuffle for another minute.
- Turn off heat, but continue shuffling until the heat is out of the pan. Pour roasted spices into grinder and grind til you have a fine powder. If not fine, strain it, and discard what won’t pass through strainer.
- Save in airtight jar.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0