Dreamy Coconut Cream Pie
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup + 5 tablespoons unsweetened medium-shred coconut
- One 9-inch prebaked pie shell
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pour the milk into a large, heavy saucepan. Place over moderately low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, gradually beat 2/3 cup sugar into the egg yolks. Beat until the mixture thickens slightly and lightens in color, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture in a thin stream. Pour the custard back into the saucepan and cook over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until it boils and thickens. Continue to beat over moderate heat until the pastry cream is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in the butter just until it melts. Blend in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla, then 2/3 cup of the coconut.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl and set aside for a few minutes to cool. Cover the surface of the pastry cream with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming; refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the coconut into the prebaked pie shell, spreading it evenly.
- Whip the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Remove the coconut pastry cream from the refrigerator. Fold about a third of the whipped cream into the coconut cream until the mixture is smooth. Pour it into the coconut-lined pastry shell and spread it evenly.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream over the coconut cream, swirling it decoratively.
- Garnish the pie with the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut.
- Refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0